An instrument for converting sound waves into electrical energy variations, which may then be amplified, transmitted, or recorded.
More example sentences
- We don't take up much room and don't have any amplifiers or microphones to encumber us.
- Should drum beating or use of microphones and loudspeakers that disturbs the peace of neighbourhood be permitted?
- The rangers set up underwater microphones attached to amplifiers on the jetty.
- More example sentences
- She broke a string on her Les Paul right on the first song, then switched to a Firebird which kept shrieking due to some kind of microphonic problem with the pickups not liking the distortion effect or something.
- The low frequency tone emitted in flight is plainly audible to the ear and microphonic filtering yielded the wing beat frequency, as Sotavalta reliably showed for many insect species.
- Every little sound echoed causing somewhat of a microphonic effect.
Definition of microphone in:
- The British & World English dictionary