Definition of microvillus in English:
noun (plural microvilli /-ˈvilˌī, -ˈvilē/)Biology
Each of a large number of minute projections from the surface of some cells.
- The diagnosis was confirmed by the ultrastructural demonstration of large desmosomes and long microvilli at the cell surface.
- The luminal surface of the epithelial cells contained few irregular cytoplasmic projections, but cilia or microvilli were absent.
- These cells are sparse but are easily distinguished from other epithelial cells by the presence of a tuft of blunt, squat microvilli on the cell surface.
- Example sentences
- The underlying epithelial cells show irregular light nuclei containing discrete nucleoli and a microvillar layer that is presumably secreting the basal layer of cuticle (arrow).
- Equally a mystery are the mechanisms responsible for the construction and destruction of the microvillar membrane with changes in microvillus length.
- As the core filaments polymerize, other microvillar proteins (villin, fimbrin, etc.) are mobilized from the cytoplasm and inserted.
- Example sentences
- The cells in the lung and airways differ from those in the gastrointestinal system in that they lack the distinctive terminal web that lies immediately beneath the microvillous border.
- It should be noted that effects of cytochalasin D on the physical properties of microvillous tethers between leukocytes and endothelial cells cannot be ruled out by this study.
- The epithelial component has delicate surface microvillous projections indicating glandular differentiation.
Definition of microvillus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan