Definition of middle-of-the-road in English:
1Avoiding extremes; moderate: the paper reflected the views of its middle-of-the-road readers
More example sentences
- Having conceded so much to the opposition, he has to work hard to secure a middle-of-the-road position - to avoid drifting either to the Platonist right or to the pragmatist left.
- A handful of moderates are talking to middle-of-the-road Senate Republicans about possible compromises, although the talks are going slowly.
- These visages were created by first digitally blending a series of faces from each race into ‘composites’ to create average, middle-of-the-road features typical of each race.
1.1(Of music) tuneful but somewhat bland and unadventurous.
- The music-variety genre aired on television at a time when rock and roll was growing in popularity, and the middle-of-the-road music offered by most of these shows did not appeal to younger audiences.
- While Girl Alone uses more soulful ballads, this newer version offers a greater variety of songs, including some rock and roll mixed in with the other middle-of-the-road music.
- The album is mainly middle-of-the-road reggae, heavy on drum and bass, and chock-full of melody lines that grab you right away and sound better with each listen.
- Example sentences
- I doubt that many middle-of-the-roaders are going to see the film (they mostly don't frequent theaters to begin with, and a documentary isn't likely to be the catalyst to overcome that obstacle).
- And it turns out that the Republicans were able to win the middle-of-the-roaders, the moderates, the centrists.
- It has a place in the breast of die-hard lefties, but finds a home also among decent, humane, middle-of-the-roaders and true conservatives.
Words that rhyme with middle-of-the-roadabode, bestrode, bode, code, commode, corrode, download, encode, erode, explode, forebode, goad, implode, load, lode, mode, node, ode, offload, outrode, road, rode, sarod, Spode, strode, toad, upload, woad
Definition of middle-of-the-road in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.