Definition of mignonette in English:
A herbaceous plant with spikes of small fragrant greenish flowers.
- Genus Reseda, family Resedaceae: several species, in particular the North African R. odorata, which is cultivated as an ornamental and for its essential oil, and the widespread wild mignonette (R. alba), originally a Mediterranean plant
- Try poppies, cornflowers, stocks, love-in-a-mist, cosmos, mignonette, larkspur, honesty, ox-eye daisies, marigolds, phlox, sunflowers, zinnias - whatever takes your fancy.
- At Vithion in its wonderful setting by the sea near the end of the peninsula, there were mignonettes, scarlet tulips and geraniums.
- The lightweight polypropylene mesh stretches between stakes, over your flowers that need support - like snapdragons, lisianthus, campanula, mignonette and many more.
Early 18th century: from French mignonnette, diminutive of mignon 'small and sweet'.
Definition of mignonette in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan