- 1A stone set up beside a road to mark the distance in miles to a particular place.More example sentences
- A granite marker stone or milestone is preserved in Breage church.
- Stuart now studies old Ordnance Survey maps, which mark the location of milestones with the letters MS, or MP for milepost.
- The French twin town presented Ingleton with a milestone setting out the distance between the two.
- 2An action or event marking a significant change or stage in development: the speech is being hailed as a milestone in race relationsMore example sentences
- Here are important milestones on the road leading up to the current situation.
- It is not easy but represents a positive milestone on the long road to recovery.
- Each of these are milestones on a road that's inexorably leading us into a one-way street from which there is no return.