1A herbaceous American plant with milky sap. Some kinds attract butterflies, some yield a variety of useful products, and some are grown as ornamentals.
- Genus Asclepias, family Asclepiadaceae: several species, in particular the common milkweed (A. syriaca)
More example sentences
- Some of the primary plants for butterfly larvae include: aspen, alfalfa, clover, nettle, pearly everlasting, milkweed, grasses, hackberry, parsley, vetch, and willow.
- Plants here include prairie rose, nodding onion, gray-headed coneflower, butterfly weed, green milkweed, hoary puccoon, and even eastern prickly pear cactus.
- The larvae absorb toxins from their food plant, milkweed.
Definition of milkweed in:
- The British & World English dictionary