Definition of millenary in English:
noun (plural millenaries)
1A period of a thousand years. Compare with millennium.
1.1A thousandth anniversary.
- Clearly, much of what was propagated about Alfred at the time of the millenary was based on the accretion of centuries of tradition and myth.
- The Alfred the Great millenary in 1901 makes this problem apparent.
adjectiveBack to top
Consisting of a thousand people, years, etc.
- For them, the millenary celebrations proffered an avenue to the rebuilding of the cultural self-confidence needed to continue ruling the empire.
- Thornycroft was thus largely given free rein to devise an idealized image of Anglo-Saxon Englishness in his statue for the millenary commemoration.
Mid 16th century: from late Latin millenarius 'containing a thousand', based on Latin mille 'thousand'.
Words that rhyme with millenaryantennary, bimillenary, venery
Definition of millenary in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.