Definition of mincemeat in English:
1A mixture of currants, raisins, sugar, apples, candied citrus peel, spices, and suet, typically baked in a pie.
- in Britain, is a miniature round pie, filled with mincemeat: typically a mixture of dried fruits, chopped nuts and apples, suet, spices, and lemon juice, vinegar, or brandy.
- My mother would make her favorite bread pudding: layers of buttered bread sandwiching mincemeat and marmalade, doused with cream and eggs, baked until puffy as a quilted pillow, and slathered with hard sauce.
- The final cook-off is the culmination of an eight month long search for the best amateur mincemeat and pastry cook in the country.
- We also do rhubarb, strawberry, and lemon, and I make my own mincemeat out of elk meat.
- Meat eaters, they will come readily to the hand for mincemeat or strips of beef, even cheese, in dry times.
- Cattle were making between 80 to 84p per lb at the moment but a pound of mincemeat in the butchers cost more.
make mincemeat of someone
- informal Defeat someone decisively or easily in a fight, contest, or argument.Example sentences
- But men tend to do it, de Waal writes, ‘in the more civilized manner of making mincemeat of someone else's arguments or, more primitively, giving others no time to open their mouths.’
- But his team say he's confident of making mincemeat of them when they finally get down to specific policy commitments, with a major onslaught already planned for that Manchester conference.
- Of course, the gag running through all the action is that these old geezers from another era are competing with guys 40 years their junior and making mincemeat of them.
Definition of mincemeat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan