Definition of minelayer in English:
A warship, aircraft, or land vehicle from which explosive mines are laid.
- Navy Romanian naval forces in the Black Sea consisted of four Italian-built destroyers, four torpedo boats, three submarines, three minelayers, one submarine depot ship, three gunboats, and one training ship.
- Rapid ditching machines; artillery, rocket, and air-delivered mines; and ground minelayers are available on world markets.
- Afterwards, she was converted to a minelayer with 80 standard mines; but catching a trim on diving was dodgy while the huge mine-casing slowly flooded.
- Example sentences
- The ship structure is able to meet all minewarfare roles, including surveillance, minelaying, minehunting and minesweeping.
- The main roles of the corvettes will be in patrol and surveillance, minelaying, interception and other anti-surface warfare operations in the United Arab Emirate's territorial waters and exclusive economic zone.
- A key role in this warfare is assigned to remote minelaying and remotely controlled minefields.
Words that rhyme with minelayertracklayer • bricklayer
Definition of minelayer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan