Definition of miner in English:
1A person who works in a mine.
- An explosion in an eastern Kentucky coal mine killed five miners yesterday while one other miner was able to get out alive.
- The narrow mine shafts meant miners often had to work on their sides by candlelight.
- Rescuers are frantically trying to reach more than 40 miners trapped in a coal mine that is filling fast with water.
2An Australian bird of the honeyeater family, having a loud call and typically nesting colonially.
- Genus Manorina, family Meliphagidae: five species, including the bell miner or bellbird (M. melanophrys), with greenish plumage and a bell-like call
- Miners nest communally, laying their eggs in a nest made in the fork of a tree.
- The Indian Myna is from the starling family, while the Australian miners are honeyeaters and grey in colour.
3A small South American bird of the ovenbird family that excavates a long burrow for breeding.
- Genus Geositta, family Furnariidae: several species
- The rufous-banded miner is a neotropical ovenbird (Furnariidae) that is widespread in the southern Andes.
- As their name suggests, miners make their nests in holes along creek banks or in burrows.
Words that rhyme with minerangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, minor, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, shiner, signer, South Carolina, Steiner, twiner, whiner
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.