Definition of miner in English:
1A person who works in a mine.
- An explosion in an eastern Kentucky coal mine killed five miners yesterday while one other miner was able to get out alive.
- The narrow mine shafts meant miners often had to work on their sides by candlelight.
- Rescuers are frantically trying to reach more than 40 miners trapped in a coal mine that is filling fast with water.
2An Australian bird of the honeyeater family, having a loud call and typically nesting colonially.
- Genus Manorina, family Meliphagidae: five species, including the bell miner or bellbird (M. melanophrys), with greenish plumage and a bell-like call
- Miners nest communally, laying their eggs in a nest made in the fork of a tree.
- The Indian Myna is from the starling family, while the Australian miners are honeyeaters and grey in colour.
3A small South American bird of the ovenbird family that excavates a long burrow for breeding.
- Genus Geositta, family Furnariidae: several species
- The rufous-banded miner is a neotropical ovenbird (Furnariidae) that is widespread in the southern Andes.
- As their name suggests, miners make their nests in holes along creek banks or in burrows.
Words that rhyme with minerangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, minor, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, shiner, signer, South Carolina, Steiner, twiner, whiner
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan