1A trend in sculpture and painting that arose in the 1950s and used simple, typically massive, forms.
- Tate cites influences on Gallagher's work ranging from bebop to hip hop, from abstract expressionism to minimalism to the postmodern, and identity-based art of the recent decade or so.
- Styles as varied as Pop art, minimalism and even performance art embrace the still life style.
- Artists were engaged in such varied practices as minimalism, Earthworks, Photo-realism, conceptual art, performance art, and feminist art.
2An avant-garde movement in music characterized by the repetition of very short phrases that change gradually, producing a hypnotic effect.
- Claiming to have been hugely into minimalism and avant-garde music by the time he hit high school, Jim O'Rourke's stock took a blow in the credibility department with me.
- A favorite of the great Czech conductor Rafael Kubelik, St Wenceslas prefigures late twentieth century minimalism with its repetitive chorale theme and luminous string figurations.
- The headliner for the Irving Plaza shows was Tortoise, an instrumental band that dips into minimalism, lounge music, jazz and rock.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of minimalism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.