Definition of minimax in English:
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting a method or strategy in game theory that minimizes the greatest risk to a participant in a game or other situation of conflict.
- This paper introduced the idea of minimax reasoning for lower bounding randomized algorithms, and appeared only in FOCS 83.
- Michie recalls Turing experimenting with heuristics that later became common in chess programming (in particular minimax and best-first).
- There are real problems of deciding whether a given ‘game’ has a global minimax or multiple local minimaxes or a minimax at all!
1.2 [as modifier] Denoting the theory that in a game with two players, a player’s smallest possible maximum loss is equal to the same player’s greatest possible minimum gain.
- One possible solution is the minimax search algorithm.
- In game theory von Neumann proved the minimax theorem.
Definition of minimax in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan