- A bishop or knight.More example sentences
- Also important is the number of pawns on the board, especially when the minor piece is the knight.
- His two bishops are potentially very strong (and his dark-squared bishop already the best minor piece on the board), and white's g and e-pawns are targets.
- So Black gets a rook and pawn for the two minor pieces plus pressure on the e and f-files.
early 19th century: named in contrast to the rook or queen.
More definitions of minor pieceDefinition of minor piece in:
- The British & World English dictionary