Definition of mirid in English:
An active plant bug of a large family that includes numerous plant pests. Formerly called capsid1.
- Family Miridae (formerly Capsidae), suborder Heteroptera
- In the 25 days of observation, for example, 57 plants were found to harbor an average of 3.3 predatory mites, 16 plants contained nabids, and 30 plants contained mirids.
- Lindane, a highly poisonous organochlorine, is sprayed on crops of cacao plants growing in Ghana and other west African countries to control mirid bugs, which cause the plants to wilt.
- In the subfamily Bryocorinae, the mirids are separated into two tribes, Monaloniini or Odoniellini.
1940s: from modern Latin Miridae, from mirus 'wonderful'.
Words that rhyme with miridvaried • sacred • hatred
Definition of mirid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan