- An alloy of cerium, lanthanum, and other rare earth metals, used as an additive in various alloys, e.g., in flints for cigarette lighters.More example sentences
- One of the oldest use of lanthanum metal is in the production of misch metal, an alloy that produces sparks when struck.
- Impure lanthanum is used in alloys such as misch metal, of which lanthanum is a major constituent.
- Neodymium is present in misch metal to the extent of about 18%.
1920s: from German Mischmetall, from mischen 'to mix' + Metall 'metal'.
More definitions of misch metalDefinition of misch metal in:
- The British & World English dictionary