Definition of misery in English:
noun (plural miseries)
1A state or feeling of great distress or discomfort of mind or body: she went upstairs and cried in misery he wrote endlessly about his frustrations and miseries
More example sentences
- This one revolves around a mental case wallowing in misery because her sister stole her boyfriend.
- This tale of physical misery, compelling as it is, is not the main focus of Young's play.
- The physical misery it causes has been compared to advanced cardiac disease or cancer.
1.1 (usually miseries) A cause or source of great distress or discomfort: the miseries of war
More example sentences
- The ‘patriarchal family’ was held to be the main source of children's miseries.
- As long as we live in this world, we are bound to suffer the miseries and afflictions that beset the human being.
- What is more, it is as simple as the solution which, after the Second World War, we applied to correct the economic and other miseries that had plagued us during the Great Depression of the 1930s.
make someone's life a misery (or make life a misery for someone)
- Cause someone severe distress by continued unpleasantness or harassment.Example sentences
- She felt guilty about Stella making your life a misery.
- For a start, the new measure will not apply to existing tenants - so if you already live next door to someone who is making your life a misery, this won't help at all.
- We have a duty to protect the law abiding majority against those who are making their life a misery.
put someone/something out of their misery
- End the suffering of a person or animal in pain by killing them.Example sentences
- Sometimes it was expressed informally, as when spectators at public demonstrations quietly put the animal subjects out of their misery.
- He says a doctor approached him, saying a hospital administrator wanted to know what he thought about putting patients out of their misery.
- Authorities are reviewing patient records, trying to evaluate claims that he administered fatal overdoses of medication to seriously ill patients to put them out of their misery.
Words that rhyme with miserywizardry • citizenry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan