Dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women: she felt she was struggling against thinly disguised misogyny
More example sentences
- There is nothing amusing about snobbery, racism, bigotry, misogyny and xenophobia.
- The old comics are on their last legs because foreigner-fearing, homophobic bigotry and misogyny are no longer as acceptable as they once were.
- People can't choose their skin colour, or their sex or their sexual orientation, which is why racism and misogyny are so repellent.
- Example sentences
- Both nature and the process of scientific enquiry appear conceptualized in ways modelled on rape and torture - on man's most violent and misogynous relationship with women.
- When Clare Boothe's The Women was first produced on Broadway in 1936, it was seen as not only antifeminist but outright misogynous.
- I know, I come across as misogynous when I say that.
Mid 17th century: from Greek misos 'hatred' + gunē 'woman'.
Words that rhyme with misogynyandrogyny, homogeny, progeny
Definition of misogyny in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.