Definition of missionary in English:
noun (plural missionaries)
A person sent on a religious mission, especially one sent to promote Christianity in a foreign country.
- Yet how many Christians today give even a tenth to support pastors, evangelists and missionaries?
- During the seventeenth century, French Jesuit missionaries converted many of the Iroquois to Catholicism.
- American Protestant missionaries arrived in Korea in the nineteenth century.
adjectiveBack to top
Of, relating to, or characteristic of a missionary or a religious mission: missionary work they have lost the missionary zeal they once had
More example sentences
- For some there was religious missionary zeal in helping those who were less fortunate.
- There is a direct connection between the presence of missionary zeal in members and their regular presence in worship.
- Theorizing about biblical translation was often undertaken and emerged within the framework of missionary practice.
Words that rhyme with missionaryhymnary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.