(also missel thrush)
Definition of mistle thrush in English:
A large Eurasian thrush with a spotted breast and harsh rattling call, with a fondness for mistletoe berries.
- Turdus viscivorus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- Meanwhile, the chaffinch, great tit, and mistle thrush, which nest high up in trees, have shown no marked decline.
- Despite the fall in song thrush numbers its bigger cousin, the mistle thrush, is still to be heard, singing its heart out from the tops of trees.
- For the third year running a mistle thrush has chosen an amber traffic light in Salford to rear her young.
early 17th century: mistle from Old English mistel (see mistletoe).
Definition of mistle thrush in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India