1A mitten: we recommend using a potholder or insulated mitt
More example sentences
- And chintz tea towels and oven mitts that are anything but chintzy.
- A few seconds later, Sam arrived at the door, face red and hot and clad in an apron and oven mitts.
- Dressed in an apron with oven mitts to match, she noticed him and smiled.
1.1 Baseball A mittenlike glove, worn by the catcher and first baseman.
- For the love of a glove: a baseball mitt just isn't a necessary piece of equipment, it's a part of life for many players
- You just don't see 10-year-old kids throwing around a rugby ball or kicking a soccer ball in the States; they've either got a baseball mitt on their hand or are throwing around a basketball or football.
- I wanted a baseball mitt so bad a sweet hurt blossomed in my stomach whenever I thought about it…
1.2A glove leaving the fingers and thumb-tip exposed.
- There are definite tricks to tasks such as fitting a mask, manipulating camera controls, tightening straps and all the other things divers need to do without thinking about it while wearing dry gloves or mitts.
- The temperatures of around 20F can be a problem for some pilots who have only gloves and no mitts.
1.3 informal A person’s hand.
- This big grumbly rumbly bear of a man with shoulders wider than most airline seats and mitts so big that my kitty Abby could probably sit comfortably in his palm likes my silly pet name for him.
- They're trying to get their grubby mitts on our big cars and mansions in Pondok Indah and Bintaro.
- Tickets for the 200-capacity date next month may have been snapped up within hours of going on sale but we have managed to get our mitts on a pair of the coveted items.
keep one's mitts off
- informal Keep one’s hands away from; not touch: keep your mitts off the fan control!More example sentences
- A note card is taped to the front, and in careless handwriting it says: Nora's Diary, I am eight years old, keep your mitts off, don't touch, this means you!
- The noise is just one of several barks, squeals, and cries in a squirrel's vocabulary; others connote ‘I'm angry,’ ‘Time to come home, Junior,’ and ‘I've just mated with her; keep your mitts off.’
- We've got our eye on that one, so keep your mitts off.
Mid 18th century: abbreviation of mitten.
Words that rhyme with mittacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, befit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, demit, dit, emit, fit, flit, frit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, retrofit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mitt in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.