Definition of mizzen in English:
1 (also mizzenmast) The mast aft of a ship’s mainmast.
- The crew had formed a circle on the deck around the mizzenmast and the captain, whose back was turned to her.
- Also, the fore-and-aft sail on the mizzenmast, originally a triangular lateen sail, was changed to accommodate the more modern rig.
- His square-rigged ship with the cross and bones flying from the mizzenmast was a feared sight in the eyes of captains of merchant barques.
2 (also mizzensail) The lowest sail on a mizzenmast.
- A gust of wind hit them as the mizzensail was unfurled, followed by the mainsail and the foresail.
- Sure, you need to be able to tell the contemporary equivalent of a fore topgallant from a mizzen topsail, but that's what all those seminars and lectures are for.
- Bellerophon's main topmast had been shot away and her mizzen topmast was in a precarious state.
Words that rhyme with mizzenarisen, grison, imprison, prison, risen, uprisen
Definition of mizzen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.