Definition of mnemonic in English:
A device such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations that assists in remembering something.
- Short, succinct, and easy to remember - a mnemonic.
- When performing under divided attention at retrieval, an elaborate mnemonic may be produced at encoding and only partially accessed during retrieval.
- Because we sometimes learn and remember best through the use of mnemonics I have created the following mental touchstones.
adjectiveBack to top
1Aiding or designed to aid the memory.
- When adjusted for differences in overall mnemonic ability, we demonstrate that the relationship between organization and learning remains invariant with normal aging.
- To me, this isn't the occasional mnemonic hiccup, it's a cognitive hacking cough.
- This is so because their differences in mnemonic ability put them on a different scale.
1.1Of or relating to the power of memory.
- Her poems often have a hip-hop feel, emphasizing repetition and the mnemonic power of the spoken word.
- The mnemonic power of poetry - the rhythmic organization of words as an aid to memory - however, is central, if not indispensable, to the transmission of a tradition in an oral society.
- The second is that the mnemonic power of a life-size naturalistic effigy vivifies the presence of the dead during the second-burial ceremony, enabling mourners to treat the image as if it were alive.
- Example sentences
- One is the dual coding hypothesis that imaginal and verbal codes are mnemonically independent and, therefore, additive in their effects on item memory.
- The author offers one particularly intriguing example of how this sort of mnemonically based representation could include activities that modern scholars would describe as portrait making.
- Yes, that spells CAMP for you mnemonically disposed readers.
Definition of mnemonic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan