- Making fun of someone or something in a cruel way; derisive: the mocking hostility in his voice made her winceMore example sentences
- In the mining district, religious zeal was often counterbalanced by a skeptical, almost mocking, attitude.
- The slow drawl was meant to be mocking.
- The ruthless scientist changed from mocking to sad.
- More example sentences
- Legend has it that he lifted the helmet mockingly during the consecration of a Mass and was instantly struck dead by a small stone which fell from the roof of the church!
- They had mockingly attributed his mystery illness to bad sushi or excessive drinking.
- It happened a decade ago with ME - or yuppie flu, as it became mockingly known.