Definition of modem in English:
A combined device for modulation and demodulation, for example, between the digital data of a computer and the analog signal of a telephone line.
- For example: a modem driver allows the modem inside your computer work with Windows.
- The receiving modem translates the analog signals back to digital form.
- Another device that is very handy is a voice modem with telephone recording software.
verb[with object] Back to top
Send (data) by modem.
- Run a report of the tally from the polling place before phoning, modeming or driving anything to the county.
- They will modem in to work from locations very distant from central headquarters.
1950s: blend of modulator and demodulator.
The term modem is a blend of modulator and demodulator.
Words that rhyme with modemproem • idem • diadem
Definition of modem in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.