Definition of moderator in English:
1An arbitrator or mediator: Egypt managed to assert its role as a regional moderator
More example sentences
- We applaud the efforts of model developers to look at mediators and moderators of effectiveness, and believe that this will be an extremely productive avenue of research.
- Potential mediators and moderators of the relation between childhood peer rejection and negative outcomes have not been thoroughly tested.
- Thus, it appears that ethnic identity more likely operates as a moderator or as a mediator or as a co-factor in protection from drug abuse.
1.1A presiding officer, especially a chairman of a debate.
- Or had the retired general simply not considered the possibility that debate moderators would ask him questions?
- Aggressive moderators don't get picked as debate moderators, Lou.
- And my answer there is that my function as a debate moderator has always been to just to facilitate the exchange between the candidates, to get them to talk about it.
1.2A Presbyterian minister presiding over an ecclesiastical body.
- He has been the moderator of the Free Presbyterian Church since he founded it in 1951, a longer run in power than most popes.
- Last month the former moderator of the Presbyterian Church, went so far as to call for an end to the withdrawal by Protestants from mixed towns and areas.
- The organization constituted itself in January and elected as moderator the head of the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
3 Physics A substance used in a nuclear reactor to retard neutrons.
- Heavy water is a suitable and convenient moderator of neutrons in nuclear reactors.
- The moderator provides neutrons, which are captured by the uranium atoms.
- The most common moderators are substances of low atomic weight such as heavy water (deuterium oxide) or graphite.
- Example sentences
- If not, then the communities are not similar enough for that argument to apply for moderatorship.
- Even if I'm not eligible for moderatorship, it would still be fun to watch the events.
- No one here will get a moderatorship based on celebrity status or otherwise, the ones who got moderatorships here got them based on their support and treatment of me in the past.
Definition of moderator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan