- 1The action of modifying something: the parts supplied should fit with little or no modificationMore example sentences
- Thus supporters of globalization are keen to temper its most unpopular effects by modification of neoliberal policies.
- But genetic modification does not stop at plants; it could include animals as well.
- It is not likely to encourage modification of the proposals.
- 1.1A change made: there will be a number of modifications to the enginesMore example sentences
- Engine modifications have been carried out to prevent similar accidents.
- Well, we have seen a few changes, a few modifications, and a few updates, since that time.
- The prototype proved successful and further modifications were made to improve it.
late 15th century (in Scots law, denoting the assessment of a payment): from French, or from Latin modificatio(n-), from modificare (see modify).