noun (plural modi operandi /ˈmōdē/ /ˈmōdī/)[usually in singular]
1A particular way or method of doing something, especially one that is characteristic or well-established: the volunteers were instructed to buy specific systems using our usual modus operandi—anonymously and with cash
More example sentences
- In tune with the usual modus operandi of the industry, the audio was released on Wednesday and people struggled to find parking place.
- The usual modus operandi was that robbers identified isolated residential localities and targeted lonely women.
- It was the usual modus operandi - improvise, make do, and make it work.
method (of working), way, MO, manner, technique, style, procedure, approach, methodology, strategy, plan, formula
1.1The way something operates or works.
- Its modus operandi is thus quite unconnected with that of the Pill, where overall blood serum levels are raised.
- For just as he acted according to the modus operandi that has characterised his government, so did the opposition.
- This is also the standard modus operandi of academic or conventional economics.
Latin, literally 'way of operating'.
Words that rhyme with modus operandiAndy, bandy, brandy, candy, dandy, Gandhi, glissandi, handy, jim-dandy, Kandy, Mandy, Nandi, randy, Río Grande, sandhi, sandy, sforzandi, shandy
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.