- Thick, dark brown syrup obtained from raw sugar during the refining process, a version of which is used in baking.More example sentences
- They developed a much simpler and cheaper process using fermented molasses or wheat - eventually manufacturers realised that almost any protein can be broken down to produce it.
- Nowadays it is usually manufactured from wheat gluten or beet molasses by a fermentation process devised in the 1950s.
- MSG is a powdered form of glutamate made by fermenting molasses from sugar cane and beets.
mid 16th century: from Portuguese melaço, from late Latin mellacium 'must', based on mel 'honey'.
More definitions of molassesDefinition of molasses in:
- The British & World English dictionary