Definition of mole rat in English:
A herbivorous, short-legged, ratlike rodent that typically lives permanently underground, with long incisors that protrude from the mouth and are used in digging.
- Family Bathyergidae (African mole rats): several genera; also two subfamilies and three genera in the family Muridae (Eurasian blind mole rats and Asiatic mole rats)
- The blind mole rat, S. ehrenbergi, receives seismic vibrations by pressing its lower jaw against the ground to transmit vibrations to the inner ear by bone conduction.
- As the mole rat's visual cortex has been reduced, some of its other brain structures, associated with touch and smell, have expanded.
- Cobras flourish as long as there are rice fields; there they feed mainly on the mole rat, live and lay their eggs in the rat burrow networks.
Definition of mole rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia