Definition of mole rat in English:
A herbivorous, short-legged, ratlike rodent that typically lives permanently underground, with long incisors that protrude from the mouth and are used in digging.
- Family Bathyergidae (African mole rats): several genera; also two subfamilies and three genera in the family Muridae (Eurasian blind mole rats and Asiatic mole rats)
- The blind mole rat, S. ehrenbergi, receives seismic vibrations by pressing its lower jaw against the ground to transmit vibrations to the inner ear by bone conduction.
- As the mole rat's visual cortex has been reduced, some of its other brain structures, associated with touch and smell, have expanded.
- Cobras flourish as long as there are rice fields; there they feed mainly on the mole rat, live and lay their eggs in the rat burrow networks.
Definition of mole rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.