- A group of atoms bonded together, representing the smallest fundamental unit of a chemical compound that can take part in a chemical reaction.More example sentences
- It works by affecting a molecule called nitric oxide, which expands blood vessels.
- In the water molecule there are three atoms: two of hydrogen and one of oxygen.
- The reactant ions have enough energy to ionise the molecules of interest but not enough to break them up.
late 18th century: from French molécule, from modern Latin molecula, diminutive of Latin moles 'mass'.
More definitions of moleculeDefinition of molecule in:
- The British & World English dictionary