- I started the work at half ten on Sunday night and finished at one on Monday morning.
- When they took the register on Monday morning, there were a number of notable absences.
- The next day she learned she would be suspended the following Monday, for one day.
adverbchiefly North American
- It's a pain because the only day I can get in is a Monday, and Mondays and Fridays they are closed.
- Sundays I was always a little unstable, and then Mondays I spent recuperating by my lonesome.
- I mean, Mondays you have just started the oppressive boredom, so you have a lot to talk about.
Our names for days of the week are based on translations of Latin terms: days of the week in ancient Rome were named after the planets, a category which at that time was considered to include the moon and the sun (after which Sunday was named)
Old English Mōnandæg 'day of the moon', translation of late Latin lunae dies; compare with Dutch maandag and German Montag.
Words that rhyme with Mondaysundae, Sunday
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Monday in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.