Definition of moneylender in English:
A person whose business is lending money to others who pay interest.
- Here we have masses of lower income people transferring their meager wealth via outrageous interest rates to unscrupulous moneylenders.
- It does not state on its website that it is a registered moneylender, or that its interest rate is 37.1 per cent APR.
- Most of the people we were lending to had, at one time or another, been indebted to illegal moneylenders, who charge interest rates of 300 percent per annum.
- Example sentences
- Any lender offering loans above 23 per cent APR must apply to the regulatory authority for a moneylending licence.
- In effect, we are slowly surrendering our sovereignty in exchange for moneylending.
- Women's moneylending varies seasonally in tandem with agrarian financial cycles.
Pronunciation: /-ˌlendiNG/(or money-lending) noun& adjective
Definition of moneylender in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan