Definition of monk seal in English:
A seal with a dark back and pale underside, occurring in warm waters of the northern hemisphere.
- Genus Monachus, family Phocidae: two or three species, including M. tropicalis of the Caribbean and the endangered M. monachus of the Mediterranean and adjacent seas
- Under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, the Hawaiian monk seal has had some of its coastal habitat protected.
- Hawaii may have no native terrestrial mammals, but the islands do harbor one native aquatic mammal, the monk seal, and one native flying mammal, the hoary bat.
- Thanks to a courageous conservation project, the critically endangered Mediterranean monk seal's future looks much brighter.
Definition of monk seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan