(also monkey puzzle tree)
Definition of monkey puzzle in English:
An evergreen coniferous tree with branches covered in spirals of tough, spiny, leaflike scales, native to Chile.
- Araucaria araucana, family Araucariaceae
- Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.
- The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.
- The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.
mid 19th century: said to be so named in response to a remark that an attempt to climb the tree would puzzle a monkey.
Definition of monkey puzzle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan