noun (plural same or monkfishes)
1A bottom-dwelling anglerfish of European waters.
- Lophius piscatorius, family Lophiidae
- There was a time when anglers went to Tralee Bay just to catch the true monkfish.
- Deep-water species such as the monkfish and the orange roughy are at risk, as it can take decades before a fish is old enough to breed.
- An albino monkfish was also landed and while this is rare in itself and even more unique feature of this fish is the fact that it had no eyes.
1.1Monkfish as food.
- For a main course, pan-fried monkfish with wild mushrooms and crayfish butter sauce is paired with an Australian Pinot Noir.
- Daily specials include the likes of Dover sole, sea bass and monkfish and there's a healthy feel about the whole menu.
- In the nourishing-winter-stew category, my favorite dish was a mass of oxtail sandwiched among layers of ravioli skins, with two pieces of seared monkfish on top.
1.2 another term for goosefish, especially when referring to monkfish as food.
Definition of monkfish in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.