- (Of a plant or invertebrate animal) having both the male and female reproductive organs in the same individual; hermaphrodite. Compare with dioecious.More example sentences
- This monoecious species has male flowers occurring in catkins and female flowers occurring in clusters.
- Now monoecious trees occur in the endangered species list more than you would expect by chance.
- A single quantitative trait was described by the genetic model for a population of diploid, monoecious individuals, with an initial population mean of 100.
- More example sentences
- Bertin showed that both dichogamy and monoecy are present with equal frequency in self-compatible and self-incompatible plants.
- Groups in which dioecy evolved from monoecy consist of monoecious and dioecious species, while groups in which dioecy derived from gynodioecy are composed of gynodioecious and dioecious species.
- Sagittaria latifolia consists of various populations ranging from monoecy to complete dioecy.
Pronunciation: /ˈmänˌēsē, ˈmō-/noun
mid 18th century: from modern Latin Monoecia (denoting a class of such plants in Linnaeus's system), from Greek monos 'single' + oikos 'house'.
More definitions of monoeciousDefinition of monoecious in:
- The British & World English dictionary