- (Of a social insect) having only one egg-laying queen in each colony.More example sentences
- Colonies of the monogyne form of the fire ant Solenopsis invicta actively defend exclusive foraging areas with distinct boundaries.
- Colonies of the monogyne type are headed by a single egg-laying queen, whereas those of the polygyne type contain multiple queens.
- The genotypic pattern associated with each social form is remarkably simple: monogyne colonies harbor only the B allelic variant of Gp - 9, whereas polygyne colonies harbor both the B variant and b-like variants.
from mono- 'one' + Greek gunē 'woman, wife'.
More definitions of monogyneDefinition of monogyne in:
- The British & World English dictionary