- Any of the class of sugars (e.g., glucose) that cannot be hydrolyzed to give a simpler sugar.More example sentences
- Simple sugars, the monosaccharides and disaccharides, are very easy for human bodies to use as a source of energy.
- In the digestive track carbohydrates are converted to monosaccharides, mostly glucose and fructose.
- The difference can be connected with the structural properties of the glucose and mannitol molecules, as the mannitol is a polyhydric alcohol, whereas the glucose is a monosaccharide.
More definitions of monosaccharideDefinition of monosaccharide in:
- The British & World English dictionary