Definition of monotreme in English:
A primitive mammal that lays large yolky eggs and has a common opening for the urogenital and digestive systems. Monotremes are now restricted to Australia and New Guinea, and comprise the platypus and the echidnas.
- Order Monotremata and subclass Prototheria: two families
- There are only three living monotremes, the duck-billed platypus and two species of echidna, or ‘spiny anteaters’, such as the one shown at right.
- Placental and marsupial mammals are more closely related to one another than to the third living group of mammals, the monotremes.
- The Australian fossil record of monotremes also includes some quite good Miocene and Pleistocene fossils of giant echidnas.
Definition of monotreme in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan