- A large tropical American climbing plant of the arum family that typically has divided or perforated leaves and corky aerial roots. Several kinds are cultivated as indoor plants when young.
More example sentences
- Genus Monstera, family Araceae: several species
- The nursery is currently being used to produce ornamentals such as plumeria, monstera, and dracaena.
- Her last design, a tall stand, displayed large palm leaves and monstera leaves.
- Finally, a large urn containing a tall piece of dried contorted hazel was surrounded by monstera leaves, asparagus fern, Scots pine, palm leaves and larch branches.
modern Latin, perhaps from Latin monstrum 'monster' (because of the unusual appearance of the leaves in some species).
More definitions of monsteraDefinition of monstera in:
- The British & World English dictionary