A shy insectivorous mammal of the hedgehog family, with a long snout and ratlike appearance, native to Southeast Asia and China. Also called gymnure.
- Subfamily Galericinae, family Erinaceidae: several genera and species, in particular Echinosorex gymnurus
More example sentences
- Moist forests, mangrove swamps, and wet farmlands are the typical habitats of Malayan moonrats.
- Both hedgehogs and moonrats are geared strictly for eating insects and other small invertebrates, especially earthworms.
- The moonrat is notorious for its characteristic onion or rotten-garlic odor.
More definitions of moonratDefinition of moonrat in:
- The British & World English dictionary