Definition of moorhen in English:
1A small aquatic rail with mainly blackish plumage.
- Family Rallidae: two genera and four species, in particular the widespread common gallinule (Gallinula chloropus), with a red and yellow bill
- Other birds I saw near the pond were coot, moorhen, purple swamphen and a few Gray Wagtails walking around near the water.
- A pair of coots, some moorhens, a little grebe and a single Little Egret rounded out the waterbirds.
- Going around the lake I observed crested grebes, coots, moorhens, ducks, swans and herons.
Definition of moorhen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan