Definition of moralist in English:
1A person who teaches or promotes morality.
- Approximately half the entry is on the Greek moralists Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and the Stoics.
- Third, moral philosophers and moralists in the wake of eighteenth-century cosmopolitanisms have insisted that we human beings have a duty to aid fellow humans in need, regardless of their citizenship status.
- For a moralist teaches us the anatomy of virtue and vice, helping us to see and understand what is at stake in particular judgments and practices.
1.1A person given to moralizing.
- But donning the robes of the moralist presents problems of its own, notably the problem of Presentism, that is judging historical figures by contemporary moral standards.
- You know: not all moral people are moralists, nor all moralists moralistic.
- But also the moralist forgets that morality cannot be imposed or legislated or begotten by an act of will.
1.2A person who behaves in a morally commendable way.
- It's such a fascinating world and as soon as people can stop thinking of the Victorians as stuffy moralists then they can see that they were very sensual and rich.
- ‘She was a moralist and puritan who would consider the topic of sex a taboo,’ he said.
- He is the moralist for whom, in the religious life, morality counts as everything.
- Example sentences
- It is ethical without being moralistic, realistic without being limited.
- Its a very moral show about amoral people that achieves its moral ends by never being moralistic or judgmental.
- Example sentences
- Unless you're allergic to milk or moralistically vegan, don't order soy milk!
- The book is presented moralistically, as a tall tale about an entertaining but indefensible swine that knew he was doing evil but was having too much fun to stop.
- Nor do I intend to moralistically disapprove of material comforts.
Words that rhyme with moralistamoralist
Definition of moralist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia