Definition of moralist in English:
1A person who teaches or promotes morality.
- Approximately half the entry is on the Greek moralists Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and the Stoics.
- Third, moral philosophers and moralists in the wake of eighteenth-century cosmopolitanisms have insisted that we human beings have a duty to aid fellow humans in need, regardless of their citizenship status.
- For a moralist teaches us the anatomy of virtue and vice, helping us to see and understand what is at stake in particular judgments and practices.
1.1A person given to moralizing.
- But donning the robes of the moralist presents problems of its own, notably the problem of Presentism, that is judging historical figures by contemporary moral standards.
- You know: not all moral people are moralists, nor all moralists moralistic.
- But also the moralist forgets that morality cannot be imposed or legislated or begotten by an act of will.
1.2A person who behaves in a morally commendable way.
- It's such a fascinating world and as soon as people can stop thinking of the Victorians as stuffy moralists then they can see that they were very sensual and rich.
- ‘She was a moralist and puritan who would consider the topic of sex a taboo,’ he said.
- He is the moralist for whom, in the religious life, morality counts as everything.
- Example sentences
- It is ethical without being moralistic, realistic without being limited.
- Its a very moral show about amoral people that achieves its moral ends by never being moralistic or judgmental.
- Example sentences
- Unless you're allergic to milk or moralistically vegan, don't order soy milk!
- The book is presented moralistically, as a tall tale about an entertaining but indefensible swine that knew he was doing evil but was having too much fun to stop.
- Nor do I intend to moralistically disapprove of material comforts.
Words that rhyme with moralistamoralist
Definition of moralist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.