Definition of morning star in English:
1 (the morning star) A bright planet, especially Venus, when visible in the east before sunrise.
- Astronomers now know, of course, that the morning star and the evening star are one and the same heavenly body, namely, the planet Venus.
- He also recognised that the orbit of the Moon was inclined to the equator of the Earth and he was one of the first to realise that Venus as an evening star was the same planet as Venus as a morning star.
- Jian Chi remained still as he eyed the sky throughout the night, watching it disappear into the verdant clearing and let the morning star arise from its sleep.
2 historical A club with a heavy spiked head, sometimes attached to the handle by a chain.
[Translating German Morgenstern, comparing the weapon's spikes to rays of the star]
- The man let out a groan of pain, as one of the spikes in the morning star had stuck into his leg.
- Cecil mustered what was left of his strength and jumped backwards, narrowly avoiding a whirling morning star.
- William is capable, however, of smashing through any castle wall or suit of armor with his morning star.
Definition of morning star in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan