- An analgesic and narcotic drug obtained from opium and used medicinally to relieve pain.
More example sentences
- An alkaloid; chemical formula: C17H19NO3 . Compare with heroin
- It is therefore in the same category of painkillers as morphine and codeine.
- For severe pain, oral morphine is the drug of choice and should never be denied to patients who need it.
- The nature of some pain killing drugs, such as morphine, means prolonged use often leads to addiction.
early 19th century: from German Morphin, from the name of the Roman god Morpheus (see Morpheus).
More definitions of morphineDefinition of morphine in:
- The British & World English dictionary