Definition of morpho in English:
noun (plural morphos)
A large tropical butterfly, the male of which has bright blue iridescent wings. Native to the Central and South American rain forests, they are caught in large numbers each year for use in the jewelry trade.
- Genus Morpho, subfamily Morphinae, family Nymphalidae
- The blue morpho family of butterflies, from the rainforests of Central and South America, catch the light in their wings to conjure dazzling displays.
- What we've done is measure the reflectivity of some of these butterfly's wing regions, the blue morphos, and we found that a non-metallic surface on the wing reflects 85% of the incident blue light on it and that's a huge number really.
- We pass single file on a swinging bridge and I see a large morphos butterfly up the tree-shrouded stream, the turquoise circles on its fluttering wings flashing like neon.
Definition of morpho in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.