1 Biology The origin and development of morphological characteristics.
- While this process may be gradual in different cell types, certain cells undergo very rapid and complex morphogenesis.
- During morphogenesis at any developmental stage, all plant cells require modifications of the cell wall structure.
- Cell adhesion and cell separation are important in the morphogenesis and development of higher plants.
2 Geology The formation of landforms or other structures.
- But with the summer sun only 15° from overhead, and even the winter sun well above the horizon, how did mid-latitude periglacial morphogenesis work?
- Function addresses the issue of how the structure was selected to perform one or several activities, while fabrication deals with the biophysical processes acting during the morphogenesis of the structure.
- Example sentences
- The computational model can extrapolate the morphogenetic movements of human organs such as the eye, heart, lung etc.
- The best method would be to model intrinsic morphogenetic processes, which directly control the shape and size of chambers, including the localization of apertures.
- We also see evidence that it is a relatively new gene, one that is taking over a morphogenetic function that may have been carried out by several other more primitive genes in the ancestral insect.
- Example sentences
- This bone morphogenic protein stimulates the cells and forms bone.
- Bone morphogenic protein is a relatively new, genetically engineered protein recently approved by the US Food and Drug Administration.
- Regardless of the sensory pathway through which stem shortening is elicited, the morphogenic effect is important regarding crop canopy dynamics and light competition between developing plants.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of morphogenesis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.