noun (plural mortuaries)
- A funeral home or morgue.More example sentences
- The funeral home and mortuary had been in our family for decades.
- Those who work at the Department of Defense's only mortuary in the continental United States see firsthand a grim reality of war.
- The bodies keep coming to this mortuary in the southern Indian city of Chennai.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
- Of or relating to burial or tombs: mortuary rituals a mortuary templeMore example sentences
- Burial monuments and other mortuary rituals are often costly and elaborate.
- One interpretation is that the cave became a focus for mortuary rituals, including the defleshing of the dead.
- From here, the burial cortège, priests and visitors would pass through ceremonial halls onto a causeway that ascended the desert escarpment to the mortuary temple, built against the east face of the pyramid.
late Middle English (denoting a gift claimed by a parish priest from a deceased person's estate): from Latin mortuarius, from mortuus 'dead'. The current noun sense dates from the mid 19th century.