Definition of moss animal in English:
A sedentary colonial aquatic animal found chiefly in the sea, either encrusting rocks, seaweeds, or other surfaces, or forming stalked fronds. Each minute zooid filter-feeds by means of a crown of ciliated tentacles (lophophore).
- Phylum Bryozoa (or Polyzoa, Ectoprocta)
- Bryozoans, or ‘moss animals,’ are aquatic, mostly marine, colonial organisms, superficially rather like coral.
- A little deeper than 10m, velvety mounds of soft coral, sponges, tunicates and moss animals are densely packed together.
- Similar to sponges, but with tentacles, moss animals or bryozoans are strange creatures.
Definition of moss animal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.