Definition of moss animal in English:
A sedentary colonial aquatic animal found chiefly in the sea, either encrusting rocks, seaweeds, or other surfaces, or forming stalked fronds. Each minute zooid filter-feeds by means of a crown of ciliated tentacles (lophophore).
- Phylum Bryozoa (or Polyzoa, Ectoprocta)
- Bryozoans, or ‘moss animals,’ are aquatic, mostly marine, colonial organisms, superficially rather like coral.
- A little deeper than 10m, velvety mounds of soft coral, sponges, tunicates and moss animals are densely packed together.
- Similar to sponges, but with tentacles, moss animals or bryozoans are strange creatures.
Definition of moss animal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan