Definition of mother-in-law's tongue in English:
A West African plant of the agave family, having long slender leaves with yellow marginal stripes, often grown as a houseplant.
- Sansevieria trifasciata, family Agavaceae
- For instance they won't eat anything in the aloe family or leathery leafed plants such as mother-in-law's tongue.
- If the bathroom is cold for most of the day, choose sansevierias (mother-in-law's tongue) - which will also survive in a poorly lit bathroom - or Nepenthes alata, a carnivorous plant with unusual hanging red traps.
- All over the Caribbean, it is known as ‘mother-in-law's tongue’.
Definition of mother-in-law's tongue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan