Definition of mother-in-law's tongue in English:
A West African plant of the agave family, having long slender leaves with yellow marginal stripes, often grown as a houseplant.
- Sansevieria trifasciata, family Agavaceae
- For instance they won't eat anything in the aloe family or leathery leafed plants such as mother-in-law's tongue.
- If the bathroom is cold for most of the day, choose sansevierias (mother-in-law's tongue) - which will also survive in a poorly lit bathroom - or Nepenthes alata, a carnivorous plant with unusual hanging red traps.
- All over the Caribbean, it is known as ‘mother-in-law's tongue’.
Definition of mother-in-law's tongue in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.